Today, my TIG welder decided to throw a temper tantrum. I'm thinking that something might have gotten knocked around when I moved it to the new shop. I've eliminated just about everything else and have finally gotten some decent beads.
First order of business, the sign holder frames:
Hmmm . . . I wonder if the floor is level?
Yeah . . . Of course not. heh
First one welded together:
I got the second one welded up then moved on to making sure all the pieces I have fit together correctly:
I took a break and wanted to figure out WTF was going on with my welder. For some reason, I was getting a LOT of crud in the welds even after sanding, acetone, wire brushing with a stainless steel wire brush only used for aluminum and then acetone AGAIN. I checked my ground connections, torch connections, gas lines, adjusted gas pressures, played with the frequency and balance, found this:
moved up to 1/8" tungsten (thought I am not a fan of the type I am using for aluminum, but it works decently enough it seems) and after all that, I FINALLY started to get something resembling decent:
I got a bit hot on this joint:
The sign frame is going to get welded into the slot formed between the upright angles and the tab welded to the end of the box:
First on the right, last on the left:
Much better color on the last one, showing much improved weld quality:
Funky 1/8" tungsten: